This is one of my favourite summer salads, easy to make and very fresh.
These quantities are for 2 serves or 4 side salad serves so just increase all ingredients to suit larger numbers.
- 2 cups of fresh baby spinach
- 1 large mango, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup of cashew halves or slivered toasted almonds (add more if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons of good quality honey (organic of possible), adjust amount to suit taste
- Salt and pepper (fresh ground) to taste
- In a large salad bowl combine spinach, mango slices, and cashews/almonds
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the olive oil, lime juice and honey thoroughly and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to mix through.
Some reasons why this salad is good for you
Mangoes-low in bad fats, high in Vitamin C & A, B6, calcium, potassium and fibre, are anti-cancer, good for digestion, bone growth, skin & eye health and immunity; Spinach– contains antioxidants, Vitamins A, K, C & B, potassium, iron, carotenoids, anti-cancer, good for eyes & bones; Olive oil– anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, healthy fat; Limes – full of Vitamin C, antioxidant, antifungal, also contains B vitamins, vitamin A, calcium, potassium, and copper, iron, and magnesium, is source of fiber, & helps alkalise body; Honey contains antioxidants plus B vitamins and vitamins A, C, D, E and K, plus copper, calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, sodium, and zinc Almonds– potassium, calcium & magnesium which assist stress, and nourish the nervous system; Cashews- contain iron, magnesium, zinc, copper, phosphorus and manganese, they have a lower fat but higher protein and carbohydrate content than some other nuts, good for heart and eye health. Black pepper – anti-inflammatory /aids digestion/ assists nutrient absorption.