This soup is quick and easy to make and a good winter warming meal. It is dairy and gluten free and can be served on its own or with some crusty bread either plain or gluten free.
This recipe gives 4 serves. Prep/cooking time: 35-40 mins
2 medium large leeks, sliced.
250g-300g potatoes chopped
2 large carrots, sliced or chopped
2 cloves of garlic chopped or minced
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
2-3 tablespoons of olive oil (use a little more if needed)
1 litre of organic chicken or vegetable stock- homemade or Massel brand is a good one.
- Prepare the leeks by cutting off and discarding the thick dark green ends. You want the white and pale green section. Then cut the leeks lengthways in half and rinse thoroughly under water, then slice them roughly. Leeks get very dirty so ensure that all dirt is washed away before cooking.
- Warm the oil in a large pot and add the chopped leeks, chopped carrots and garlic. Cook, stirring as needed until leeks are soft and wilted, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add chopped potatoes, stock and bay leaves, salt and pepper, bring to the boil then cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Remove the bay leaves and puree using a blender (stick or standing) or Thermomix.
- Return to the pot and heat through again.
- You can also stir in some cream (1/2 cup) if you want an extra creamy soup.
Some reasons why this soup is good for you:
Leeks contain kaempferol (anti-cancer) & Vitamins K, B6, A, C, E & folate, plus copper, iron, manganese, calcium and fibre, and omega-3 fatty acids. Also good for cholesterol and blood pressure management; Potato- nutrient dense complexcarbohydrate, good source of potassium, Vitamins C & B6,folate plus iron & fibre. They are , sodium, cholesterol & fat free; Carrots-antioxidant (beta-carotene), protect heart and eye health, anti-cancer, assists blood sugar control; Olive oil– anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, healthy fat; Garlic- (allium family)is rich in Vitamins B1,B6,C , plus manganese, selenium, phosphorus, and copper, & protects against cancer and CVD, antifungal, antimicrobial, stabilises blood sugar; Black pepper – anti-inflammatory /aids digestion/ assists nutrient absorption.