Za’atar is a middle-eastern spice mix, made mainly of dried oregano, marjoram, thyme, sumac, salt and sesame seeds. This recipe is very quick to prepare and cook, and feeds 4 people.
4 tbsp za’atar spice
2-3 tablespoon olive oil (more if required)
4 lamb backstraps, trimmed
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine za’atar, and oil, and mix to a paste. Adjust amounts until happy with smooth paste consistency.
- Place lamb in bowl, add paste and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove lamb from refrigerator, bring to room temperature. Season with salt and pepper before pan-frying over medium to high heat for 5-8 minutes, or until done to your liking. Usually 2-3 minutes each side is plenty. Remove from pan and rest for 5-10 minutes. Slice and serve while still warm with the salad.
- Make spinach salad while lamb is resting, place lamb slices over salad or toss the lamb through the salad
- 4-5 cups of baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup shaved Pecorino Romano cheese or crumbled fetta whichever preferred (adjust amounts to suit)
- 1/4 -1/3 cup toasted pecans (toast in the oven or in a pan on the stove-top)
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
In a large bowl, toss the spinach with the cheese, pecans, and sliced onion. Add 4 tablespoons of olive oil to a small bowl and whisk in the mustard, honey, and vinegar. Drizzle the dressing over the salad, toss to combine, and serve with lamb.
Some reasons why this is good for you
Lamb- high-quality protein, with many vitamins & minerals, including iron, zinc, and vitamin B12; Olive oil– anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, healthy fat; Za’atar-antioxidants and nutrients to boost the immune system, fight inflammation & increase circulation; Spinach-antioxidants, vitamins A, K, C & B, potassium, iron, carotenoids, anti-cancer, good for eyes & bones; Red onion; Vitamin C & B vitamins, antioxidant, protect against cancer and CVD, antifungal, antimicrobial & stabilise blood sugar; Honey – antioxidants plus B vitamins & vitamins A, C, D, E and K, plus copper, calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, sodium, and zinc; Black pepper – anti-inflammatory /aids digestion/ assists nutrient absorption. Cheese-Calcium for strong bones and teeth, protein, phosphorus, zinc, magnesium, Vitamins A, B2 and B12 for the nervous system; Pecans -heart healthy, a good protein & fibre source with 19 vitamins & minerals including Vitamins A,E, B vitamins, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium & zinc.