Baked chicken thighs are a great way to prepare chicken for a family meal. They are so easy to cook and can be served with a simple salad, or with sweet potato mash and green vegetables such as beans, broccoli and Brussel sprouts. Or you can use the tender meat for sandwiches and mix with home-made avocado mayonnaise, spring onions and celery as a filling. The dark meat of the thighs is tender whereas breast meat can get really tough if overcooked. Meat cooked on the bone is succulent and the skin crisps up and keeps the chicken moist.
Patting the skin dry before cooking is important, then season the skin with salt, pepper and your choice of herbs mixed into some olive oil as a rub. Chicken should be placed skin side up on a rack placed into a baking pan that is lined with foil. When the internal temp of the chicken reaches 74 degrees C (165 F) then it should be cooked.
- 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons of oil preferably with a high smoke point (e.g. light olive oil, avocado)
- 1-2 tablespoons of seasoning e.g. a mix of sea salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, basil, cumin, onion powder etc.)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C or 180 degrees C if oven is fan-forced
- Dry chicken pieces by patting with paper towel to remove all moisture
- Season chicken thighs by rubbing all skin with herb/oil seasoning
- Place on the rack and bake for approximately 40-45 minutes, but check chicken is cooked, using thermometer, as times can vary depending on your oven and the size of the pieces being cooked.
- Remove and serve with sweet potato mash and green vegetables, or salad
Also-you can remove skin and bones, break the chicken up and mix with avocado mayo and finely chopped celery and spring onions and serve as a sandwich, with your choice of bread or in a lettuce cup for a healthier version.
Mix the flesh of a medium avocado with 1.5 tablespoons of cold pressed avocado oil, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1.5 tablespoons of water, ½ tsp of apple cider vinegar and pinch of salt. These quantities can be altered to suit your taste. Use a blender or mash well with a fork to get a creamy consistency. You can add in extra flavours like garlic, onion powder, tabasco etc. for extra flavor if you wish. Spoon into a covered glass jar and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Some reasons why this is good for you.
Chicken- low fatgoodprotein, essential amino acids, calcium, iron phosphorus, potassium, zinc, Vitamin B6,energy, bone health; Beans- cardio-protective, low fat, high protein, soluble fibre, B Vitamins, iron, potassium; Broccoli -anti-inflammatory, alkalizing, anti-cancer (sulpforaphane), rich in vitamin C, E and CoQ10, B vitamins, iron, calcium, magnesium, vitamin K, potassium, phosphorus, and manganese; Sweet potatoes-also provide carbs, protein & fibre, areantioxidant- contain Vitamin C, betacarotene, potassium and Vitamin B6, potatoes are cholesterol free; Black pepper – anti-inflammatory /aids digestion/ assists nutrient absorption; Thyme-antimicrobial, antioxidant,with Vitamins C & A, iron, plus other nutrients; Olive oil– anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, healthy fat. Avocado- healthy fats, good for heart health, good for fibre, Vitamins A, C, D, K, B Vitamins and potassium.
Photo source: https://www.spendwithpennies.com/baked-chicken-thighs/