This is a warming winter soup. Can be served on its own or with a crusty bread of your choice. The recipe can serve 6-8 people depending on the size of the serves. The cooking time is around 30 minutes.
- 1kg young carrots
- 1 large onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 flat teaspoon raw chopped ginger
- 4- 5 cups of good chicken stock such as Massel, or swap for the vegetable stock if desired
- 4 Parsley stalks
- Salt and black pepper
- Coconut or plain Yoghurt
- Wash carrots well but don’t scrape off skin, as skin gives flavour, colour and nutrients.
- Cut off carrot tops and remove any rough bumps, then cut into 1cm chunks and sauté with onions in olive oil until onion is transparent.
- Add garlic, cook for 1 minute then add stock and parsley stalks plus salt and pepper
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes
- Remove parsley stalks and discard then puree soup in a blender until smooth.
- Return to stovetop and reheat through
- Serve with a dollop of coconut or plain yogurt if desired
- Chop some extra parsley and sprinkle on top.
Why this is good for you
Carrots-antioxidant (beta-carotene), protect heart and eye health, anti-cancer, assists blood sugar control; Garlic & Onions– have vitamin C & B vitamins, antioxidant, protect against cancer and CVD, antifungal, antimicrobial & stabilise blood sugar; Olive oil– anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, healthy fat; Black pepper – anti-inflammatory /aids digestion/ assists nutrient absorption. Eggs-provide protein for energy, lutein and zeaxanthin for eye health, choline for cell health, vitamins A, B, C, and vitamin D for bone health and immune support, plus magnesium and calcium; Parsley– provides- chlorophyll good for detoxing liver; Ginger – anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant; good for digestion, pain relief, circulation, and relief from symptoms of respiratory illness; contains vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, copper, and manganese. Yogurt– plain or coconut provides (depending on the brand) protein, calcium potassium plus probiotics for gut health.