Cauliflower mash is a great accompaniment to fish, chicken or red meat or just eaten on its own. It is gluten and dairy free.
- 1 head of cauliflower (approx 800g) finely chopped
- 1 onion, sliced or chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup of vegetable stock or water
- A little sea salt and black pepper to season
- Sauté onion and garlic in a large pan with the olive oil over a low to medium heat until softened.
- Add the finely chopped cauliflower to pan and sauté for a minute, then add 1/4 cup water or vegetable stock.
- Cover the pan completely with a tight fitting lid and turn down to heat to a low simmer.
- Cook for 5 – 10 minutes, stirring half way through and checking to make sure there is still enough liquid to steam the cauliflower. Don’t overcook it otherwise you will lose the flavour.
- Remove from the heat and place into a good high speed blender immediately.
- Season with a little sea salt and white pepper.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- You can add a little extra water while blending if you feel the consistency is too thick.
- Mash should be creamy velvety consistency
- Serve hot and enjoy with your favourite comfort food dishes.
- Serve it as is, or topped with some extra caramelized onion, chives or herbs.
- Don’t overcook the cauliflower and ensure it is chopped finely to assist in a shorter cooking time.
- Don’t add too much stock or water, just enough to steam until cauliflower is tender and the water mostly evaporated
- AND …by adding more stock you can easily turn it into a soup.
Some reasons why this is good for you
Cauliflower is anti-inflammatory supporting digestion and boosting immune system, high in potassium for nerve and muscle contraction, and rich in Vitamins C, B5 & B6, folate & biotin, Vitamin K, choline, phosphorus, manganese, plus bioflavonoids, it has anti-cancer properties & is a good source of dietary fibre; Onions are antioxidant,protect against cancer and CVD, are antifungal, antimicrobial & stabilise blood sugar, are rich in VitaminC, folate, plus calcium, iron, calcium and fibre and quercetin. Also good for cholesterol and blood pressure management; Garlic- (allium family)is rich in Vitamins B1,B6,C , plus manganese, selenium, phosphorus, and copper, & protects against cancer and CVD, antifungal, antimicrobial, stabilises blood sugar. Black pepper – anti-inflammatory /aids digestion/ assists nutrient absorption. Olive oil– anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, healthy fat.