This healthy warming winter soup is easy to prepare and takes 20 minutes prep and 30-35 minutes cooking time. It serves 6-8 (depends on serving size)
- 500g boneless chicken e.g. tenderloins, breasts or thigh fillets (I use tenderloins)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions- finely chopped
- 2 large or 3 medium carrots finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery finely sliced.
- 2 spring onions finely sliced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 6 cups of chicken stock (either home-made stock, stock cubes in water or liquid stock e.g., Massel is fine)
- 2 cups of water extra
- ! tsp fresh grated ginger
- ! tsp fresh grated turmeric
- 1 tsp of thyme and 1 tsp rosemary (dried is fine)
- Black pepper to taste (pinch)
- In a large pot or deep pan (with a lid) on the stovetop heat oil and add onions first for 2 minutes, then add garlic, carrots, celery and spring onions and stir all over a low to medium heat until onion seems translucent.
- Then add ginger and turmeric and stir through, for 30-60- seconds
- Add chicken stock, extra water, rosemary, thyme and black pepper and bring to the boil
- Now add in chicken in pieces, making sure the liquid is covering chicken and put on a lid to cover.
- Bring back to the boil, then immediately reduce to simmer for 15-25 minutes until chicken is cooked. Cooking time will depend on the size/cuts of chicken, if pieces are small test at 15 minutes.
- When chicken is cooked through, carefully remove pieces from the liquid using a slotted spoon or tongs onto a plate and shred it all using 2 forks.
- Return shredded chicken to the soup, stir through and reheat for a few minutes. Add extra water or salt if required and taste and adjust seasonings to suit. Soup is ready to serve. Uneaten soup can be frozen.
Some reasons why this soup is good for you:
Chicken- low fat,goodprotein, essential amino acids, calcium, iron phosphorus, potassium, zinc, Vitamin B6,energy, bone health; Onion & garlic- (allium family)- provide C & B vitamins, antioxidant, protect against cancer and CVD, antifungal, antimicrobial & stabilise blood sugar; Carrots-antioxidant (beta-carotene), protect heart and eye health, anti-cancer & assists blood sugar control; Celery- antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, fat free, low carb, alkalising, supports digestion, contains potassium, folate, choline, Vitamins A & K; Turmeric– anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-cancer, good for circulation, helps detoxification and may assist symptoms of arthritis, contains vitamins C & B6, magnesium, a good source of dietary fibre, iron, potassium & manganese; Ginger-anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant; good for digestion, pain relief, circulation & relief from symptoms of respiratory illness, & contains vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, copper & manganese; Thyme-antimicrobial, antioxidant,with Vitamins C & A, iron, plus other nutrients; Rosemary– assists digestion, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory; Black pepper – anti-inflammatory /aids digestion/ assists nutrient absorption; Olive oil– anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, healthy fat.