- 1kg chicken tenderloins – cut into bite sized pieces
- Flour for coating chicken- plain or gluten free
- 60gm butter (for browning chicken and vegies)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (as above). Extra oil may be added if needed while cooking.
- 2 large onions- chopped.
- 2 large or 3 medium carrots sliced.
- 2 sticks celery sliced.
- 2-3 cups of chicken stock (either home-made stock, stock cubes in water or liquid stock e.g., Massel are fine)
- ½ tsp of thyme
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce.
- 1 teaspoon extra flour in 50ml water to thicken mix at end.
- Rice for serving.
- Wash all vegetables, then peel & chop onions, peel and slice carrots, wash & slice celery.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil & 30g butter to frying pan on moderate heat (not too hot) add vegies to pan – soften and caramelise onions, then add & lightly cook carrots and celery probs easier to do each separately unless you have a big frying pan – then remove all onto a plate.
- Add remaining oil and butter to pan and cook chicken in batches- until just golden brown (about 2 minutes), adding more oil if needed while cooking.
- Add stock/water (2 cups) plus ½ tsp thyme to pan and mix in. Simmer chicken in stock for a few minutes then return vegetables to the pan. Mix all ingredients together well. Add extra stock/water if needed i.e., if too dry
- Put a lid on pan, and simmer on low heat for around 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add mix of 50ml water, extra flour and Worcestershire sauce, and simmer covered until sauce is desired consistency. Check chicken is cooked through.
- Taste the gravy/sauce and add extra salt or Worcestershire sauce and salt or pepper if needed.
- Serve with cooked rice
Some reasons why this meal is good for you:
Chicken- low fatgoodprotein, essential amino acids, calcium, iron phosphorus, potassium, zinc, Vitamin B6,energy, bone health; Carrots-antioxidant (beta-carotene), protect heart and eye health, anti-cancer, assists blood sugar control; Onions protect against cancer and CVD, are antifungal, antimicrobial & stabilise blood sugar; Celery- antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, fat free, low carb, alkalising, supports digestion, contains potassium, folate, choline, Vitamins A & K; Thyme-antimicrobial, antioxidant,with Vitamins C & A, iron, plus other nutrients. Olive oil– anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, healthy fat.