A family favourite, this is a very easy lasagne recipe using readily available ingredients. Prep time takes about 20 minutes & allow about for an hour all up for cooking. It provides 4 large serves or 6 smaller serves. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Box of plain or gluten free instant lasagne sheets (250g)
- 500g lean or extra lean beef mince
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 ½ cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups of chicken stock (Massel stock is a good one)
- 1 tablespoon of combined mixed chopped herbs, dried is okay, Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano
Bechamel /Cheese Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons plain or gluten free plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 125g tasty cheese or mixed tasty /mozzarella. Plus some extra tasty and parmessan cheese to sprinkle over top.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in deep pan and add onion, carrot & garlic. Cook until onion is transparent, (approx 3 mins) then add mushrooms & cook for another 2-3 mins, finally add herbs mix all together; cooking about ½ – 1minute.
- Push vegies to the side, and add beef mince to pan. Cook until lightly brown, then stir vegies back in with mince.
- Add canned tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken stock, salt /pepper, and stir all in together over heat.
- Cover with a lid, bring mix to the boil, then lower heat to simmer covered for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- For cheese sauce, melt butter in a saucepan, add & stir in the flour & cook over a gentle heat about 2 minutes
- Remove from heat and slowly stir in milk using a whisk, then return to heat still stirring slowly until sauce is smooth & thick. Watch for slight bubbling around edge of saucepan, do not allow to boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese until it melts and sauce is smooth.
- To assemble: paint the base of a deep baking dish with some meat sauce to line the dish. Then place a layer of lasagne sheets across the base.
- Then layer alternately 1/3 meat sauce; 1/3 cheese sauce; then lasagne, and repeat with another 1/3 meat and 1/3 cheese sauce more lasagne, continue with final meat sauce then cheese sauce, (finishing with the cheese sauce).
- Sprinkle extra tasy and parmesan over the top then bake in 180°C oven for 30 minutes. Check occasionally, as cooking time may vary with different ovens. Remove from oven. Pasta should be al dente.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes, then cut and serve with a green or garden salad.
Reasons why this meal is good for you:
Beef- protein for energy plus B vitamins, zinc, selenium, phosphorus & iron; Mushrooms– low kilojoule, cholesterol free, B vitamins and fibre, supports heart health/ and immune system; Carrots-antioxidant (beta-carotene), protect heart and eye health, anti-cancer, assists blood sugar control; Onions & garlic protect against cancer and CVD, are antifungal, antimicrobial & stabilise blood sugar. Tomatoes –contain antioxidant lycopene–for protecting against heart disease and cancer, plus potassium & vitamins C, K & folate; Milk- contains calcium, protein, iodine, potassium, phosphorus and B vitamins – good for bone health. Caution if dairy intolerance or allergy; Cheese-Calcium for strong bones and teeth, protein, phosphorus, zinc, magnesium, Vitamins A, B2 and B12 for the nervous system; Thyme-antimicrobial, antioxidant,with Vitamins C & A, iron, plus other nutrients. Rosemary-contains Vitamins A, C & Bs, magnesium, calcium & iron, isantioxidant, anti-inflammatory good for eye, neurological and digestive health; Oregano– contains antioxidants, fibre, Vitamins K & E, Manganese, iron, tryptophan & calcium, is antibacterial good for gut health & inflammation; Black pepper – anti-inflammatory /aids digestion/ assists nutrient absorption; Olive oil– anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, healthy fat.