This “shot” or tonic is anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral. It is easy to make and can help in detoxifying the liver. It can be made in larger amounts and kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It contains anti-oxidants and promotes healthy digestion and can assist in the absorption of nutrients.
You can alter the amounts of each ingredient to suit your palate and if you are making it for one person, the recipe can be halved. Drink about 50 ml as a tonic “shot” with or before meals (150ml total daily). Doses are meant to be small.
- 100g fresh ginger
- 100g fresh turmeric
- 1 large lemon with skin, pith and seeds removed (or an orange if preferred)
- Honey to taste (1-2 tbsp approx.)
- Black pepper (pinch) – black pepper increases the bioavailability of the turmeric helping its absorption in the body
- Optional also a pinch of cayenne or cinnamon
- 500ml filtered water
- Chop turmeric and ginger into smaller pieces
- Add turmeric, ginger, lemon (or orange), pepper and honey to blender and cover with 500ml of filtered water. Blend on low for approximately 1 minute and strain.
- Push the pulp down in the strainer with a spatula to ensure the maximum amount of juice is extracted.
- Do a taste test to check flavor balance. As it is a tonic the flavor will be quite strong.
- Add extra lemon or honey if required to adjust flavor, and add extra water if it tastes too strong.
- Pour a small amount (approx. 50 ml) into a small glass and drink just before or with food.
Some reasons why this is good for you
Turmeric– anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-cancer, good for circulation, helps enhance detoxification and reduce symptoms of arthritis, contains vitamin C and magnesium, is a good source of dietary fiber, vitamin B6, Iron, Potassium and Manganese. Ginger – anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant; good for digestion, pain relief, circulation, and relief from symptoms of respiratory illness; contains vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, copper, and manganese. Lemon – Contains Vitamin C, thiamin, riboflavin, folate, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, calcium, potassium, and copper, iron, and magnesium, is an excellent source of fiber, & helps alkalise body. Black pepper – anti-inflammatory, aids digestion, helps turmeric absorption. Honey – antioxidants plus B vitamins and vitamins A,C,D,E and K, copper, calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, sodium and zinc.