Makes 12 Muffins!
- 2 Cups of SR flour (gluten free if preferred)
- 3 Cups of mixed vegetables (e.g. grated carrots, grated zucchini, chopped shallots, onions, chopped parsley- alternate with other grated vegetables you like)
- 1 cup tasty cheese (add another 1/3 cup if you want a more cheesy taste)
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 60g butter melted
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C, and grease a 12 hole muffin pan (each hole 1/3 cup)
- Place flour into a large mixing bowl and stir in the grated vegetables and the cheese.
- Whisk milk and eggs together and add cooled melted butter. Pour onto the flour mixture and stir gently until just all mixed together.
- Divide evenly between all the muffin pan holes and bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Test by inserting a skewer into the middle of a muffin. It should come out clean.
- Cook in the tin before turning onto a wire rack to cool. Eat now or freeze in a sealed container for up to 3 months.
Some reasons why this snack is good for you
Zucchinis –manganese, folate, vitamin C and potassium, and dietary fibre, can help lower cholesterol. Carrots-antioxidant (beta-carotene), protect heart and eye health, anti-cancer, assists blood sugar control. Shallots/onions (allium family) protect against cancer and CVD and stabilise blood sugar. Parsley– provides- chlorophyll good for detoxing liver. Cheese-Calcium for strong bones and teeth, protein, phosphorus, zinc, magnesium, Vitamins A, B2 and B12 for the nervous system. Eggs-provide protein for energy, lutein and zeaxanthin for eye health, choline for cell health, vitamins A, B, C, and vitamin D for bone health and immune support, plus magnesium and calcium.
*Recipe: adapted from Julie Goodwin’s “Cheesy Lunch Muffins”. Image from “Julie Goodwin”